Yes… after almost 18 years we notched up an Irish first! We pulled an impromptu stunt and took ourselves (and a few bits and pieces) down to our favourite beach for the night! Yep, I’ll be lying if I said that I haven’t been nagging at my good lady to do this! So… as we were relatively sure it would be a mild, dry, almost windless night her good self relented. On one condition… if at any point she felt threatened we would pack up and leave!
We were out on Sunday afternoon… at another beach, when I did the nagging thing… again! So, shock horror, when the good lady relented and said she would give it a go, we rushed home to search for a few bits and pieces. Pop-up tent (bought last summer, for just in case… ), sleeping bags… kettle and other knickknacks… including the camera, with tripod and the laptop.
We arrived at our beach of choice at about half eight and not long after nine twenty we were enjoying our nightcaps! Yep… fire made, water boiled, tent up… bedding in and photos taken! We eventually hit the sack when it was fully dark but battled to fall asleep. Noise! Yes… noise! We’d chosen a very cosy spot… in a wedge-shaped rock shelter… cave, whatever. The only thing… as we quickly realised… the rock walls acted as amplifiers… the sounds of the waves bouncing around off the walls! Had us almost off the walls!
We woke a few time during the night but all-in-all we had a great time! We learned a few lessons… including!
- at our age, sand can be very hard… we need a mattress if we’re going to do this lark again!
- a proper rucksack (hiking type… ) will be great
- we need a kettle… for fire use only!
- better prep may not necessarily be all that good but it could help.
- if we didn’t do this…
- we wouldn’t have seen the stunning slow-train meteor that put on a show for us!
- we wouldn’t have seen the milky way!
- we wouldn’t have seen quite a few satellites (including the ISS) passing overhead
- we wouldn’t be able to say we slept on a stretch of beach where the two of us were the only human-beings there!
- we wouldn’t have had our first campfire made morning coffee in Ireland!
- we wouldn’t have experienced the sound of waves amplified by our rock abode!
Most of all though, we would not have accepted the privileged of experiencing unreserved freedom… something not many folk can claim to have!
PS – If you’re wondering… we didn’t live on love alone… we took minimal food! Next time I’m doing a fry too… bacon, wors… eggs, and maybe fried tomato and mushrooms! Yes, now you’re talking!
PPS – It’s been many years but wild beach wood-fired coffee is just as good as I remember it! Strong, black… no sugar! Was it my imagination or did it have a smokey flavour?
PPPS – Our grown children think we’re a tad mad… but so what?
PPPPS – Life is great… when you appreciate it and do the simple things well!
PPPPPS – The galleries are in sequential order… so, begin at the top left and scroll through for the captions!